Skip to content

Family Visas

Family 1

Family Visas allow Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens to sponsor family members to live in Australia.

The Family Visas include:

  •  The Parent Visas (Subclass 103, 173, 143, 804, 884 and 864)

These Visas allow a parent of someone who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia as either a temporary or permanent resident. The child of the parent can sponsor the parent but the child must be at least 18 years and older and has had to have lived in Australia for at least two years.  To be granted the Visa, at least half of your children must live permanently in Australia. There are different subclasses of Parent Visa which have the similar essential requirements yet differ in category depending on whether the Visa sought is permanent or temporary, your age, financial support, whether you are applying for the Visa inside or outside Australia and whether you are prepared to pay higher Visa application charges so the Government can process your Visa faster.

  • The Child Visas (Subclass 101 & 802)

A parent of a child or the parent’s partner can sponsor the parent’s child to live permanently in Australia under the Child Visas. The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. The subclass of Visa differs depending on the whether the child is living inside or outside Australia when applying for the Visa (Subclass 101 if the Child lives outside Australia and Subclass 802 if the child is living in Australia). If the child is 18 years or older, they must be single and either a full-time student not older than 25 years of age and financially dependent on the sponsoring parent or unable to work due to a disability. If the child is under 18 years of age, the parent can apply on behalf of the child.

  • The Orphan Relative Visas (Subclass 117 & 837)

If you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen and are a brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or step-equivalent to a child under the age of 18 who is unable to be cared for by their parents because they are both either missing, dead or permanently incapacitated, you can apply to sponsor that child for this Visa. The subclasses of Visa differ according to whether the child is residing in Australia at the time the Visa is being applied for (Subclass 117 if the Child lives outside Australia and Subclass 837 if the child is living in Australia). The Orphan Relative Visas allows the child to travel and stay permanently in Australia with their sponsoring relative.

  • The Adoption Visa (Subclass 102)

This Visa allows an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to sponsor a child that they have adopted (or are in the process of adopting) overseas to live in Australia as a permanent resident with them. The child must be below the age of 18 years and must not turn 18 years of age before the application for the Visa is decided. The Adoption Visa allows the adopted child to travel and stay in Australia permanently with their adopted parents.

  • The Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)

A parent of a child who holds a temporary partner Visa can sponsor that child to live in Australia until their that parent’s permanent Visa application is decided upon. The child can be residing in or outside of Australia when the Visa is applied for.

  • The Remaining Relative Visa (Subclass 115)

This Visa allows people living outside Australia who want to be with their only near relatives who live in Australia and who also want to apply for permanent residency. Visa applicants are sponsored by near relatives who can include parents, siblings, stepbrothers or stepsisters, children and step children who have turned 18 and are not dependent children. The near relative must agree to give support, accommodation and financial assistance for the first two years of residency in Australia.

  • The Aged Dependent Relative Visa (Subclass 114)

If an eligible elderly relative relies on an Australian resident to provide them with financial support for basic needs or has a disability which prevents them from working, they may be able to apply for this Visa which entitles them to permanent residency. The relative must not have a spouse or de facto partner and be sponsored by a relative or their relative’s partner who lives in Australia.

If you would like to apply for a Family Visa and think you may be eligible to apply, contact us today to arrange a consultation to determine your eligibility.