Skip to content

Skilled Migration Visas

A SkilleSkilled Migration 1d Migration Visa is for skilled workers who want to work and live in Australia.

The subclasses of the main Skilled Visas are:

  • The Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) for people wanting to gain permanent residency in Australia in an occupation on the Government’s Skilled Occupations List.
  • The Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190) for people wanting to gain permanent residency in Australia and be nominated by a State or Territory in an occupation on the Government’s Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List.
  • The Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 489) for people wanting to reside in Australia for up to 4 years in a specified regional area and are sponsored by a relative living in that designated area or a State or Territory.

These Visas are ‘Points Tested’, meaning you must score a certain number of points to be able to be granted the Visa. The number of points you need to score is listed in a ‘Letter of Invitation’ to apply for the Visa after an ‘Expression of Interest’ to apply for the Visa is made. Points are awarded for various reasons, but in particular, age, English language ability, skilled employment in a chosen skilled occupation as well as qualifications are the main ways to score points.

There are also other various specific skilled Visas for skilled workers including:

  • The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa (Subclass 187) allows employers who are registered Australian businesses in low populated regional areas to recruit skilled workers currently on a temporary Visa to reside permanently in Australia as a full-time worker under several streams of entry.
  • The Skilled Regional (Residence) Visa (Subclass 887) allows people who have lived or worked in a designated regional area in Australia (for example, through holding a subclass 489 provisional Visa as referred to above) to apply for Australian permanent residency.
  • The Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) allows international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution to apply for temporary residency in Australia after the completion of their studies. This Visa lets people work, live and study in Australia. The duration of residency for this Visa varies according to the type of stream an applicant has applied under from 18 months to anywhere up to four years.

If you are a skilled worker or graduate looking to migrate to Australia either on a temporary or permanent basis, having the qualifications and experience in a certain occupation, contact us today for an assessment of your skills and your eligibility to apply for a Skilled Visa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *