Skip to content

Employment Visas

You can work and live in Australia through an Employment Visa. 

Work In Australia

The Employment Visas are:

  • The Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 457). This allows skilled workers to be sponsored by an approved Employer to work in Australia temporarily (for a duration of up to four years). An employer can sponsor someone for this Visa only if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the skilled work. The employment must be in an approved occupation from the Government’s Skilled Occupations List. There is a whole host of requirements for the Visa such as being able to show that the Visa applicant has the necessary skills and experience to do the job and being able to read, write, speak and understand a sufficient level of English. Although only a temporary Visa, once granted, it can lead to being granted a permanent Visa under the ‘Temporary Residence Transition Scheme’ for the Subclass 186 Visa (discussed below).

Work In Australia 2

  • The Employer Nomination Scheme Visa (Subclass 186). This allows skilled workers to apply for permanent residency in Australia after being nominated by an approved Australian employer. Once nominated, an application for the Visa can be under 3 streams. One stream is called the ‘Temporary Residence Transition Stream’. This stream is for Subclass 457 Visa holders who have worked for their nominated employer for at least 2 years in the same occupation in a situation where that employer wants to offer the Visa holder a permanent employment position. Another stream for Subclass 186 Visas is the Direct Entry Stream’. This stream is for people who have never worked in Australia or only worked in Australia for a short duration. It is also a stream for people who are temporary Australian residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Stream. The final stream is the ‘Agreement Stream’  which is for applicants who are being sponsored by an employer through a negotiated formal labour agreement.
  • The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa (Subclass 187). The Employer Nomination Scheme Visa (subclass 186 discussed above) has the same streams under which to apply for this Subclass 187 Visa (Temporary Residence Transition, Direct Entry and Agreement).This 187 is identical to the 186 Visa and allows skilled workers to apply for permanent residency in Australia but only for applicants who want to work in regional Australia only.

If you are a skilled worker looking to migrate to Australia and think you may have what it takes to meet the requirements for any of the above Employment Visas, contact us today for an assessment of your skills and your eligibility to apply.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *